Saturday, August 21, 2010

Do cats eat and or chase squirrels?

will a cat sit over and watch a mole hole, goffer hole or any hole if it smelled such animalDo cats eat and or chase squirrels?
Yes, it is possible for a cat to catch and eat a squirrel---mine did! The squirrel that my cat caught and partially ate was a northern flying squirrel. This is a very small and strictly nocturnal squirrel so you would probably never even know that they are around. I think that it would be very unusual for a cat to chase or kill the larger squirrels that are commonly seen in parks and neighborhoods.


Yes, a cat will watch a mole or gopher hole. When my cat does that I think that she hears the animal, I don't think that she really responds to scent.


Cats seem more inclined to wait and ambush their prey rather than chasing it.Do cats eat and or chase squirrels?
My cat loves to chase squirrels and can spend hours watching over and sticking her paws into chipmunk holes. She really goes after chipmunks. When we found her under our shed, she was so tiny that one day a chipmunk chased her out! I think she wants revenge.





Of course, what she hasn't figured out yet is that she has no chance of catching them because I'm standing just a few feet away holding the leash. The critters have plenty of warning that something is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment