Saturday, July 31, 2010

Why don't squirrels make good pets? Can they be domesticated?

Just curious.Why don't squirrels make good pets? Can they be domesticated?
theyll eat your nutsWhy don't squirrels make good pets? Can they be domesticated?
Because they are a wild animal. Things will go great while they are young. As they mature they will all of a sudden out of the blue - Bite.





Red squirrels quicker than Grey's





Then you will find that one person who had a squirrel its whole life who never bit. Don't believe the hype.





Squirrels do not carry rabies.
My mother had a pet squirrels when she was a kid. I don't think you should have them as pets though.
My vet has red squirrels as pets. I believe it is more common to keep that variety then gray squirrels. You cannot just pick up a squirrel from your tree outside. You would have to find a breeder and get the squirrel when it is very young. Hand training is important here. As I have mentioned...my vet speaks of his pet squirrels often and fondly. He has never expressed any negatives about owning one. As far as I'm concerned -- WHO KNOWS! lol I have never owned one. All animals have teeth and are capable of biting. Squirrels are just like cats and dogs. They must visit the vet regularly for check-ups and shots.
They are rabid rodents that don't like being inside.
They can give you rabies...Their rats with tails even thought they look cute...
They need too much excercise to be kept in a cage, and if let loose in the house they would do a lot of damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment