Saturday, July 31, 2010

My Doxie boy is obsessed with squirrels!?

I often take walks with my mini doxie, and occasionally let him off-leash when on the back quiet country roads. But if he catches site of anything small and furry, he's gone. Is there any method that I can use to keep him nearby even when tempted to run after something? I know most of you will only tell me to keep the leash on him, but I enjoy trusting my dog and letting him wander in front or to the side of me without being completely restrained.My Doxie boy is obsessed with squirrels!?
Will you enjoy watching your dog get struck by a car and killed or seriously injured as much as you enjoy ';trusting'; him? My grandparents live on a quiet back country road in an area with no leash law...their dog was killed instantly by a speeding mini-van. People who drive back country road tend to do so going FAR above the unstated speed limit of 55 MPH and they aren't going to see a miniature dachshund before they hit him. You have a breed that was bred to hunt vermin. Your dog is going to chase squirrels and anything else small and furry...it's basic instinct and in most dachshunds it is far stronger than any amount of training. Find a safer place to let your dog run off leash and keep him on a leash when walking on the side of the road for his own safety.My Doxie boy is obsessed with squirrels!?
Did you research the breed before getting one?





Dachshunds are badger hunters. They tend to hunt small animals as well!





Get a long line if you want him to have more freedom. He also needs obedience training so that you can call him back when he decides to hunt.
don't let him walk in front only beside or behind so as you can catch site of the small furry before he does and then you can correct him make sure you catch his interest in the small furry straight away and correct it by telling him to leave or whatever command you use
Recall training and plenty of it because what you are dealing with is his natural prey drive. Dachshunds were bred to go after badgers first and foremost and that drive transfers to other prey type animals like squirrels. Until he has recall, leave it and stay down pact you need to keep him on a leash.
aint nothing you can do about dogs chasing other animals.
Look up the history on your dog. I think that is what it was breed for back in the early day.

No comments:

Post a Comment