Friday, November 25, 2011

Best time to hunt squirrels in late Fall?

early morning or middayBest time to hunt squirrels in late Fall?
When I was a tad younger, I would fill my deer tags with a bow within the first few weeks of the season, leaving me sometimes 4 more weekends to squirrel hunt before the deer gun season started. I cherish those days, first because I had already gotten my venison for the season, and second, because I got to hunt ol' bushytails during the best time of the year!





I loved taking the .22 up into the deer stands right before dawn. Honestly, because I missed the same squirrel a few weeks in a row, I remember that I'd see him climb down the tree just as the sun was coming up. In my opinion, the first hour where it the light is sufficient to shoot is the best time. The squirrels come down from the trees and feed on the nuts they've buried all summer long. Not to say that the rest of the day isn't productive, but I'd say first light (dawn) and last light (dusk) are the best two times for squirrels.





HOWEVER, with it being late fall, and all the leaves being down, I did master a technique (especially when it snows here in NY) to use during midday. After the first hour or two, I'd stop sitting and start still hunting. Sometimes I'd come across fresh squirrel tracks in the snow. I'd follow them until they stopped around a tree - and if you look long and hard enough, sometimes you see them in the branches just hiding out. In the summer it works because of all the leaves. In the late fall and winter, they can be spotted with a little bit of effort.Best time to hunt squirrels in late Fall?
All the squirrels that I've gotten this season, I shot between 4 and 5:30 pm.
any old day just be sure to fry em good aint nothin better than fried squirrel

No comments:

Post a Comment